Just another WordPress site

Suspect apprehended in fatal shooting of three Virginia football players!


Authorities say that a student at the University of Virginia who used to be on the football team killed three current players as they came back from a field trip. This caused panic and a 12-hour lockdown of the campus until the suspect was caught on Monday.

Students who were told to stay put on Sunday night said it was terrifying to hide for hours. During the night, as police looked for the shooter, students hid in closets, dorm rooms, libraries, and apartments. During active shooter drills, they listened to police scanners and tried to remember everything they had learned as kids.

Student Shannon Lake said, “I think we were all just very uneasy and trying to keep our cool and level heads during the situation.”

During a morning news briefing, officials learned that the suspect, Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., age 22, had been arrested.

“Just give me a moment to thank God and breathe a sigh of relief,” university Police Chief Timothy Longo Sr. said when he heard Jones was in custody.

Violence broke out near a parking garage around 10:15 p.m. Sunday, as a charter bus full of students came back from a play in Washington to Charlottesville.

Jim Ryan, the president of the university, said that authorities did not “fully understand” why or how the shooting happened.

“Everyone at the university is sad this morning,” a visibly upset Ryan said.

The killings happened after a string of mass shootings in the last six months, including an attack that killed 19 students and two teachers at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas; a shooting at a Fourth of July parade in a Chicago suburb that killed seven people and hurt more than 30; and a shooting at a supermarket in Buffalo, New York, that killed 10 people and hurt three.

Lake, a third-year student from Crozet, Virginia, ended up spending the night with friends in a lab room, most of the time in a storage closet.

Elizabeth Paul, a student from northern Virginia, was working on a computer in the library when her mom called to tell her about the shooting.

Paul said that at first, she didn’t seem worried because she thought it was probably something small. When her computer lit up with a warning about a shooter, she knew she had to take it seriously.

“It might have said, ‘Run. Hide. “Fight,” she told him.

Paul said that she stayed in the library with a group of people. She talked to her mom on the phone for most of the night.

“I wasn’t even talking to her the whole time, but she wanted the line to be on so that she would be there if I needed something,” she said.

The three students who were killed were named by Ryan as Devin Chandler, Lavel Davis Jr., and D’Sean Perry.

Ryan said that two students were hurt and taken to the hospital.

The Associated Press said that Mike Hollins, a running back on the football team, was in stable condition on Monday.

She said this after flying from Louisiana to Virginia: “Mike is a fighter, and he’s showing it.” “He has been working with some great doctors. The most important thing is that God’s grace and hands are on him.”

After the shooting, there was a big manhunt, and the campus was searched building by building. Late Monday morning, the order to lock down was lifted.

Police say that Jones was taken into custody without any trouble in a suburb of Richmond.

Longo said that Jones’ arrest warrants said he was guilty of three counts of second-degree murder and three counts of using a handgun to commit a crime.

It wasn’t clear right away if Jones had a lawyer or when he would go to court for the first time.

Chris Jones Sr. told Richmond TV station WTVR that he couldn’t believe it when police called him on Monday.

“I feel bad for their families. He said, “I don’t know what to say except that I’m sorry for him and I’m sorry.”

Jones used to be on the football team, but Longo said he hadn’t been there for at least a year. The website for UVA football said that he was on the team during the 2018 season, but that he did not play in any games.

A few hours after Jones was arrested, the football team’s first-year head coach, Tony Elliott, sat alone in front of the building where the team practiced, sometimes with his head in his hands. He said that all of the kids who died “were good kids.”

“These young men were taken away from us too soon. All of us are lucky to have them in our lives. “As representatives of our program, university, and community, they moved us, gave us hope, and worked very hard,” he said in a statement.

Jones was brought to the attention of the university’s threat-assessment team this fall when someone outside of the school told Longo that Jones had said something about having a gun.

No threat was reported along with the worry about the gun, but the police looked into it and talked to Jones’ roommate about it.

Longo also said that Jones had been part of “some kind of hazing investigation.” He said he didn’t know everything about that case, but he did say the investigation was over because witnesses wouldn’t help.

Longo said that officials also found out about a previous incident with weapons outside of Charlottesville. He said that the university did not know about that event as it should have.

Em Gunter, who was in her second year of studying anthropology, heard six gunshots while she was in her dorm room studying genetics.

She knew right away that there was a shooter outside, so she told everyone to go into their rooms, close the blinds, and turn off the lights. She stayed in her room with a friend for the next 12 hours, listening to a police scanner and sending messages to her family and other friends who were stuck in different parts of campus.

She said that the students know what to do because of the active shooter drills.

“But what should we do afterward?” she inquired. “What will it be like next week, next month?”

The Cavalier Daily’s editor-in-chief, Eva Surovell, said that her generation grew up with “generalized gun violence.”

“But when it’s your own town, that doesn’t make it any easier,” she said.

On Tuesday, there were no classes or other academic activities. Monday night, a spontaneous vigil drew a big crowd, and a vigil for the whole university was being planned for a later date. On Tuesday, Gov. Glenn Youngkin ordered that flags be lowered to half-staff to honor and remember the victims, their families, and the people of Charlottesville.

On Monday night, a lot of people went to St. Paul’s Memorial Church on campus for a prayer service.

“Have mercy on us and all of us who are sad about Devin, Lavel, and D’Sean, who were killed because of the violence in our broken world,” a minister said in a prayer.

In another place, police in Moscow, Idaho, were looking into the deaths of four University of Idaho students who were found dead in a house near campus on Sunday. The only thing the authorities said was that the deaths were ruled murders.


Florida Has Issued a Missing Child Alert for a 3-year-old Boy

Suspect Apprehended in Fatal Shooting of Three Virginia Football Players

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.