Covid News Live: South Africa Declares That the Fourth Wave Has Peaked; Johnson Declares That the Uk Is Performing ‘Incomparably Better’ This Year.
1. In the New Year, Johnson Says the Uk Is “Incomparably Better Placed.”
New Year’s Eve revelers are urged by the prime minister to remain cautious, despite the country’s “incomparable improvement” over the same period last year. All adults in England have been offered a booster vaccination as a result of the “heroic” vaccination effort, according to Boris Johnson.
In addition, he urged those who have not been fully immunized to make a resolution in the new year to get vaccinated. There were 189,213 daily Covid cases in the UK on Thursday, a new record high.
2. The Omicron Wave May Have Peaked, According to South Africa.
The overnight curfew has been lifted in South Africa, with officials claiming that the fourth wave of Covid infections sparked by the Omicron variant may be over.
In almost all provinces, the number of cases and hospital admissions had decreased, according to a statement issued following a special cabinet meeting. First reported in the country last month, Omicron is spreading rapidly, resulting in significant restrictions.
3. Proposals to Give Priority Access to Diagnostic Tests to NHS Workers
As ministers push for more self-testing, lateral-flow kits have seen a spike in demand in recent weeks. As a result, the rapid tests are in short supply, and Health Secretary Sajid Javid has issued a two-week supply warning.
Patients should be given priority access to tests, according to the British Medical Association and Royal College of Nursing, which is concerned about staff shortages as a result of the issue.
4. Schools in Wales Will Once Again Plan for Home Learning
The first minister of Wales has urged some schools in Wales to begin planning for the return of pupils to online learning. According to Mark Drakeford, because of teacher and staff absences, some students will have to do their schoolwork at home.
- Omicron Symptoms of Covid-19 Are Determined by the Vaccine and Vaccination Status | Latest Updates
- Covid-19 Hospitalizations Among Children in the United States Are on the Rise, Raising New Questions About Omicron.
- New Covid-19 Relief Payments Are Now Available to a Selected Few Using the Stimulus Check Update
However, he stated that “different schools face different challenges,” and that local councils, not the Welsh government, would make the final decisions.
5. France Has Lifted Its Ban on Uk Nationals Passing Through the Country’s Borders.
During the New Year’s holiday period, British citizens will be able to travel through France if they are heading to an EU country. Last month, French ministers imposed travel restrictions on the United Kingdom due to fears that the Omicron variant was spreading.
This week, they were tightened even further. However, following complaints from British travelers, France has temporarily lifted its ban on them transiting through the country.